Wednesday, May 27, 2009

insults

If, for any reason, you wish to insult me, here are some easy topics for which to do so:

o Tell me I'm taking an easy course load: I want to see you simultaneously take the hardest class in your major, plus an intense independent study, plus a couple other courses that will be time-intensive, plus run cross country, and still be able to work two demanding campus jobs, take over a big community knitting project, see your friends, study for & take the GREs, apply to grad school, and have time to sleep. Oh, and keep up a good enough GPA to graduate (at least) magna cum laude. Because I don't call that an easy course load, even though on my transcript it's going to say I'm only taking 3.5 credits for Fall 09.

o Tell me I'm stupid: The GPA bit mentioned above kind of disproves this, but everyone knows you can be book smart yet have no common sense. I'm pretty sure I have a lot of street smarts, too. I also have a decent vocabulary, one area I tend to judge people's knowledge by, and I read a fair amount. I also don't think I know everything, which I think is the first step to being able to learn.

o Tell me I don't appreciate what you're doing for me: Trust me, I do. I might not be able to verbalize it very well, but I do. I think about the sorts of things people have done for me all the time and feel very lucky to have those people in my life.

o Tell me I don't love you if I say I love you: I only say I love you if I actually mean it. This goes for any sense of the phrase, romantic or friend.

o Tell me I don't mean something I say: To elaborate on the above, I am one of those people who says what I mean and mean what I say -- or at least I try very hard to be like that. Actually, I find that a lot of the time this sort of thinking gets me in big trouble.

o Call me some derogatory word (and mean it): Sometimes, I get it, these words are said jokingly. But sometimes they are not. I guarantee that I do not think of myself as anything like this so I sure hope you don't either.

o Insult my friends, family, or interests: I choose my friends carefully, so this one will really hurt me. I didn't choose my family but they are very important to me, and I love them very much, so this will also hurt me. I also choose my interests and try to build myself up with them, so please don't call me lame for liking something. (I guess I get this most with "geeky" hobbies.)

No comments:

Post a Comment